Students have until Sept. 24 to enroll in any of eight entry-level classes offered in the mid-afternoon. Classes range in times between 1 and 5 p.m., with one evening class for “paraeducators” to obtain the skills necessary to assist teachers in K-12 schools.
“These courses will appeal to those who need more flexibility in scheduling, such as adult students who can’t enroll in classes before their children return to school in the fall,” said Brad Wolf, dean of academic affairs.
Having classes that begin about a month after the traditional start of fall classes has another benefit - “students who go away to college and immediately realize their choice is not working” can enroll at HACC, Wolf said.
The courses meet basic requirements for students whatever major track they choose, he added. The courses start the week of Sept. 24 and will finish in time with the regular semester schedule on Dec. 7, followed by final exams that end Dec. 14. Students can select from the following courses:
- Introduction to Software for Business, 1-2:55 p.m. Mondays and Wednesdays
- Art Through the Ages to 1300, 3-4:55 p.m. Mondays and Wednesdays
- Introduction to Paraeductor Practices, 5:30-8:35 p.m. Thursdays
- English Essentials, 1-2:55 p.m. Tuesdays and Thursdays
- English Composition I, 3-4:55 p.m. Tuesdays and Thursdays
- Introduction to Sociology, 3-4:55 p.m. Mondays and Wednesdays
- Effective Speaking, 3-4:55 p.m. Tuesdays and Thursdays
- Beginning Algebra, 1-2:15 p.m. Mondays, Tuesdays and Thursdays
More courses are planned for the spring semester.
“HACC Lancaster plans to increase the number of late-start classes in the spring semester, including additional courses in the afternoon,” Wolf said. “We will likely poll the students enrolled this semester to see what their interests are and decide from that survey how to move forward.”
For a class schedule, to register for classes that start the week of Sept. 24 on the Lancaster Campus or for more information, call 358-2901, send an email at the contact address below or click on the Website.