HARRISBURG – From tennis basics to honing skills in the sport or learning Italian or Chinese, HACC’s Harrisburg Campus offers several enrichment classes this summer. Classes meet at the campus, unless otherwise noted. Among the offerings are:
- “Tennis, Introduction,” offered from 6:30-8 p.m. Thursdays, Aug. 5-26 at a cost of $75. Local tennis legend Tom Sweitzer will teach this class for both beginners and advance beginner students. Develop fundamental skills of tennis, including strokes, serving, volley, and lob shots. Basic singles and doubles match play also will be covered in a games-based approach. Racquets and balls are provided, however, students may bring their own if they choose.
- “Tennis Camp for Youth,” offered from 5-6:30 p.m. Thursdays, Aug. 5-26, at a cost of $75. This camp is for youth ages 10-16. Coach Tom Sweitzer will help students understand the fundamental skills of tennis. Develop fundamental skills of tennis, including strokes, serving, volley, and lob shots. Racquets and balls are provided, however, students may bring their own if they choose.
Three language courses offered in August will give students an opportunity to learn basic language skills to enhance employment qualifications or satisfy personal growth. The courses are designed for students 16 years old or older. Textbook information, if required, will be listed in confirmation letters, and should be available for purchase from the HACC book store or online. Among the classes are:
- “Italian I, Conversational,” offered from 6:30-8:30 p.m. Tuesdays, Aug. 10-Sept. 28, or 6:30-8:30 p.m. Fridays, Aug. 13-Oct. 1, at a cost of $125.
- “Italian II, Conversational,” offered 11 a.m.-1:30 p.m. Saturdays, Aug. 14-Oct. 2, at a cost of $125.
- “Chinese I, Conversational,” offered 6:30-8:30 p.m. Tuesdays, Aug. 24-Oct. 12, at a cost of $125.
Pennsylvania Liquor Control Board licensees and their employees can become certified to serve alcohol responsibly through the PLCB’s Responsible Alcohol Management Program (RAMP). The PLCB-created program offers practical advice for licensees operating restaurants, hotels, clubs, distributors, and special occasion permit holders. HACC is offering a recertification class:
- “Responsible Alcohol Management Program (RAMP) Recertification,” offered from 6-9:30 p.m. Thursday, Aug. 19, at a cost of $35. Upon successful completion of this class, students receive recertification valid for two years and recognized by the PLCB. Students are required to bring their current RAMP card to class.
Hit the pool and get fit with one or more water exercise classes offered in the Evans Gym pool:
- “Anything Goes – Water Exercise,” offered from 9-10:15 a.m. Fridays, Aug. 27-Oct. 8, at a cost of $44. Think shallow water weight room. The goal is to gain strength, tone up and have fun. Water shoes recommended.
- “Cardio Core Training,” offered from 10-11 a.m. Tuesdays and Thursdays, Aug. 24-Oct. 7, at a cost of $75. Deep water aerobics combined with inner-core training will tone your muscles, develop cardiovascular fitness and help strengthen lower back and abdominal muscles. You must be comfortable in deep water. Flotation belts are worn during class.
- “Deep Hydropower,” offered from 8:45-9:45 a.m. Tuesdays and Thursdays, Aug. 24-Oct. 7, at a cost of $75. A challenging deepwater workout using “Hydro-Fit” buoyancy and resistance equipment for maximum enjoyment, sustained physical conditioning and optimal results. This is an intermediate/advance level class.
- “Deep Water Power Workout,” offered from 10:15-11 a.m. Mondays and Wednesdays, Aug. 23-Oct. 6, at a cost of $60. Power walking/running and cardio intervals will develop strong inner core strength, muscle balance, and overall well-being in this fast-moving deep water class. You must be comfortable in deep water. Flotation belts are worn during class.
- “Liquid Dynamics,” offered from 9-10 a.m. Mondays and Wednesdays, from Aug. 23-Oct. 6, at a cost of $80. Experience a shallow water aerobics class that has a high intensity level, moves that are physically demanding thus stimulating the cardiovascular system and toning muscles. This class will help regain flexibility and is fun. Swimming ability is not required. Water shoes recommended.
HACC offers a variety of noncredit courses with something for most everyone.
Go to www.hacc.edu and click on Noncredit Courses. There you’ll find a list of what’s offered and when at all of HACC’s five campuses, including Harrisburg, Lancaster, Gettysburg, Lebanon and York. The link leads you to the Shopping Cart where you can enroll. Users receive an e-mail confirming enrollment. For more information, call the continuing education office at the HACC-Harrisburg Campus at 717- 221-1378.