For more information, contact: Carol Gerkin, continuing education coordinator, at 337-3855 x 3005
Gettysburg, PA – Historians, history buffs and area residents can delve into a comprehensive treatment of the Gettysburg Campaign during the American Civil War in 1863 in an ongoing series presented by Licensed Battlefield Guides in the classroom and on the Gettysburg Battlefield.
The goal of these programs offered by HACC-Gettysburg Campus is to provide a systematic, structured course of study, presented by specialists, for those interested in understanding the “what’s” and the “why’s” of this epochal event in our nation's history.
The tours can involve substantial walking over occasionally uneven ground – appropriate footwear is recommended. No rain dates are scheduled.
August and September programs include:
- “Campaign: June 3-30,” from 6-9 p.m. Tuesday, Aug. 17, at a cost of $30. This segment is an examination of the movements of both armies in the weeks preceding the Battle of Gettysburg.
- “Campaign: July 1,” from 6-9 p.m. Thursday, Aug. 19, and 1-4 p.m. Sunday, Aug. 22, at a cost of $50. This segment is a comprehensive study of the first day’s battle and the events leading up to it.
- “Campaign: July 2,” from 6-9 p.m. Thursday, Aug. 26, and 1-4 p.m. Sunday, Aug. 29, at a cost of $50. This segment is a comprehensive study of the second day’s battle. It examines the origin and effects of the great controversies. Who was right…Meade or Sickles, Lee or Longstreet?
- “Campaign: July 3,” from 6-9 p.m. Thursday, Sept. 2, and 1-4 p.m. Sunday, Sept. 5, at a cost of $50. This segment is a focused study of the great assault of July 3, 1863.
- “Campaign: July 4-14,” from 6-9 p.m. Tuesday, Sept. 7, at a cost of $30. This study studies events from Lee’s withdrawal to the conclusion of the Gettysburg Campaign.
For a complete list of programs in the series, go to www.hacc.edu and click on Continuing Education, then Events. The link will take you to The Gettysburg Campaign – Licensed Battlefield Guide’s Perspectives.
For more information, call continuing education office at HACC-Gettysburg Campus at 717- 338-1010.