HARRISBURG – For those interested in becoming an Emergency Medical Technician, the 140-hour EMT-Basic course is being offered this fall at a number of sites in the region through the Sen. John J. Shumaker Public Safety Center at HACC, Central Pennsylvania’s Community College.
An EMT is a member of an ambulance team with the knowledge and skills required to provide basic pre-hospital emergency care.
Upon successful completion of HACC’s EMT-basic program, participants will be able to perform complex skills such as spinal immobilization, use of an automated external defibrillator (AED), assisting patients with medications, performing patient assessments, performing CPR and taking vital signs.
Successful students will be eligible to take the Pennsylvania Department of Health practical and written certification exams. The certification exam is required to become an EMT. Many students also use the EMT training program to obtain entry level positions in healthcare fields or may be used as an elective toward a HACC degree program.
Tuition, including textbook, stethoscope, and pocket mask is $425 and must be paid in full when registering. Registration will close the Friday two weeks prior to the start date of classes. Students must be 16 years old to enroll. No on-site registrations will be accepted. Students who miss 14 hours of class time (10 percent) will be dismissed.
Upcoming classes are scheduled at the following locations:
· 6:30-10 p.m. Mondays and Wednesdays, Nov. 7-April 18, at HACC-Gettysburg Campus, 731 Old Harrisburg Road, Gettysburg.
· 6:30-10 p.m. Mondays and Wednesdays, Aug. 29-Jan. 1, at the Hampden Township EMS building, 295 S. Sporting Hill Road, Mechanicsburg.
· 6:30-10 p.m. Tuesdays and Thursdays, Aug. 30-Jan. 5, at HACC’s Sen. John J. Shumaker Public Safety Center on the Harrisburg Campus, One HACC Drive.
· 8 a.m.-6 p.m. Saturdays, Aug. 6-Nov. 19, at Williamstown Area EMS, 204 Station St., Williamstown.
· 6:30-10 p.m. Tuesdays and Thursdays, Nov. 8-April 12, at Marion Volunteer Fire Department, 5465 Molly Pitcher HWY S, Marion.
· 6:30-10 p.m. Mondays and Thursdays, Sept. 19-Feb. 16, at Lancaster County Public Safety Training Center, 101 Champ Boulevard, Manheim.
· 6:30-10 p.m. Tuesdays and Thursdays, Oct. 3-March 1, at the Gordonville Fire & EMS Association, 3204 Vigilant St., Gordonville.
· 6:30-10 p.m. Mondays and Wednesdays, Sept. 19-Feb. 15, at Neversink Fire Department, 1912 Center St., Lebanon.
· 6:30-10 p.m. Mondays and Wednesdays, Aug. 8-Nov. 16, at Mifflinburg Fire Company, 325 Chestnut St., Mifflinburg.
· 6:30-10 p.m. Mondays and Wednesdays, Oct. 3-Feb. 28, at the York County Fire School, 330 Emig Road, York.
For more information about the community EMT-Basic classes or to register, call the EMS education Unit at the HACC Shumaker Public Safety Center at 780-2643 or email firstname.lastname@example.org. For updated schedules, go to http://hacc.edu/PublicSafetyCenter/index.cfm.