02 November 2011
Duquesne University Tamburitzans 75th anniversary tour makes a stop at HACC’s Live at Rose Lehrman
HARRISBURG — The Duquesne University Tamburitzans, America’s longest-running multicultural song and dance company, performs at 3 p.m. Sunday, Nov. 20, in the Rose Lehrman Arts Center on the Harrisburg Campus of HACC, Central Pennsylvania’s Community College. In its 75th year, the ensemble features young folk artists who are dedicated to the performance and preservation of the music, songs, and dances of Eastern Europe and neighboring folk cultures. All of the Tamburitzans are a select group of full-time Duquesne University students of European descent who continue to embody the traditions of 12 different countries. The stage becomes a kaleidoscope of sight and sound with their song, music and dance.
A number of local events throughout the weekend accompany the group’s performance, including a public dance and dinner at St. Lawrence Club, Steelton, featuring Sviraj, a Slavic music band from Steelton, at 7:30 p.m. Saturday, Nov. 19, at the St. Lawrence Club in Steelton. For ticket information, go to www.SFMSfolk.org
Saturday, Nov. 19:
Folk dance classes taught by former Tamburitzans, and co-presented with Susquehanna Folk Music Society. Held in the Rose Lehrman Arts Center on HACC’s Harrisburg Campus, One HACC Drive.
- 1 p.m. - Hungarian folk dance, taught by Richard Balazs ($10 per student - cash at door).
- 2:30 p.m. - Serbian folk dance, taught by Srbo Cvetkovik ($10 per student - cash at door).
- 4 p.m. - Free collaborative session for all dancers - observers welcome.
(no previous dance experience required for these classes)
Sunday, Nov. 20:
- 2 p.m. - Free pre-event lecture "The Croatians of Steelton" by Rick Vukmanic. This presentation is an introduction to Steelton from a historical and cultural perspective. Vukmanic will share his experiences growing up among ethnic communities in Steelton, the culture and traditions of Croatian-Americans, and the role of music and dance in the community. This is a free event for all ticket holders attending the 3 p.m. performance.
- 3 p.m. - Ticketed performance of Tamburitzans.
- 5 p.m. – Post-show Tamburtizans meet and greet reception for all.
Support for this Live at Rose Lehrman event comes from the Susquehanna Folk Music Society and the HACC Foundation. This project is partially supported by a grant from Pennsylvania Performing Arts on Tour, a program developed and funded by The Heinz Endowments; the William Penn Foundation; the Pennsylvania Council on the Arts, a state agency; and The Pew Charitable Trusts; and administered by the Mid Atlantic Arts Foundation. Media sponsors for the event are WHTM TV abc27 and The Patriot-News.
Live at Rose Lehrman will present the 75th anniversary tour of the Duquesne University Tamburitzans at 3 p.m. Sunday, Nov. 20, in the Rose Lehrman Arts Center on the Harrisburg Campus of HACC. Tickets are $29 for adults, $27 senior citizens, and $15 students. Contact the Live at Rose Lehrman Box Office at 231-ROSE (7673). Tickets also are on sale online at www.LiveatRoseLehrman.org.