Jul 21, 2015
HACC Graduates 107th Police Academy Class
HARRISBURG, Pa. – The Sen. Jeffrey E. Piccola Law Enforcement Complex of the Sen. John J. Shumaker Public Safety Center (PSC) at HACC, Central Pennsylvania’s Community College, recently celebrated the graduation of 29 cadets in its 107th municipal police academy.
Several of the graduating cadets also received outstanding achievement awards at the ceremony, held July 2, 2015, at the Rose Lehrman Arts Center on HACC’s Harrisburg Campus. The award recipients are:
During this graduation ceremony, the firearms award was renamed in memory of Sgt. Thomas L. Olsen, lead firearms instructor at the HACC Police Academy for the past 31 years. Tom passed away on June 21, 2015, due to a sudden and fatal illness.
- Ryan Michael Adams, highest proficiency in firearms
- Travis J. Banning, driver proficiency
- Zachary Ryan Barkman, most inspirational cadet
- Katelyn Marie Basalla, highest academic achievement
- Benjamin Lee Mauchamer, proficiency in physical fitness
HACC’s Police Academy is the second largest in the state and offers the 20-week basic training course mandated for all Pennsylvania municipal police officers.
This 107th academy class served as a pilot program for a newly revised 23-week Act 120 curriculum with 946 hours of instruction.
HACC also provides mandatory police in-service courses, law enforcement elective training and police testing. Visit www.hacc.edu/police for more information on HACC’s Police Academy.
The graduates and the police departments they serve are:
Pre-service graduates not yet affiliated with law enforcement agencies (listed with their hometowns) are:
- Travis John Banning – Harrisburg City Police Department
- Katelyn Marie Basalla – Patton Township Police Department
- Sanjay Charles Bridges – Penn State University Police Department
- Kristopher Earl-Paul Caster – Williamsport Bureau of Police
- Derek Aaron Cummings – Williamsport Bureau of Police
- Victoria Lynn Matthews – Ephrata Borough Police Department
- Benjamin Lee Mauchamer – West Shore Regional Police Department
- Bryan Alfred Rennie – Lower Allen Township Police Department
- Joseph Armondo Scerbo – Newberry Township Police Department
- Andrew Donald Shaffer - Northern York County Regional Police Department
- Ryan Michael Adams – Jonestown
- Cory Michael Allwein – Hummelstown
- Zachary Ryan Barkman – Middletown
- Andrew Michael Bath – Elizabethtown
- Ryan Christopher Haase – Lebanon
- Ryan Matthew Heistand – Elizabethtown
- Spenser Samuel Lauver – Harrisburg
- Andrew Charles Long – Lancaster
- Ian Raymond Long – Lebanon
- Ryan Michael Mahoney – New Cumberland
- Jered Thomas Marshall – Spring Grove
- Michael Robert McGeehan – Carlisle
- Joseph Patrick Murphy – New Cumberland
- Zachary Tarner Myers – Shippensburg
- Patrick Michael O’Rourke – Palmyra
- Beth Lynne Rivera – Enola
- Jacob Aaron Shipman – Northumberland
- David George Sletta – East Petersburg
- Michael Sachim Smith – New Bloomfield
Note to editor: More high resolution photos (five in total) are available at HACC’s online newsroom. Go to http://newsroom.hacc.edu/ (easy login required) and click on a selected image for the press release titled HACC Graduates 107th Police Academy Class.
HACC, Central Pennsylvania’s Community College, offers more than 150 career and transfer associate degree, certificate and diploma programs to nearly 20,000 students at campuses in Gettysburg, Harrisburg, Lancaster, Lebanon and York and through virtual learning. In addition, HACC serves more than 29,000 students in noncredit workforce development, public safety, adult basic education and continuing education programs offered at all campuses and off-site locations in many communities in Central Pennsylvania. For more information on how HACC is uniquely YOURS, visit hacc.edu. Also, follow us on Twitter (@HACC_info), like us on Facebook (Facebook.com/HACC64) and use #HACCNews.