Dec 17, 2019
HACC Celebrates Fall 2019 Graduates
HERSHEY, Pa. – More than 430 students walked across the stage to receive their associate degrees, certificates or diplomas during the Commencement ceremony for HACC, Central Pennsylvania’s Community College, on Dec. 17, 2019, at the Giant Center in Hershey.
They were among the more than 970 students who completed their associate degrees, certificates or diplomas during the fall 2019 term.
The College provides students with the skills and knowledge to immediately enter the workforce or transfer their earned credits to four-year institutions, while saving thousands of dollars.
Among the graduates were:
- Taqi Almuzayn, an international student from Saudi Arabia, graduated with honors with an associate degree in marketing. He credits the HACC faculty and classes as the biggest reasons for his success. After graduation, Almuzayn plans to work for the Saudi Airlines and hopes to own his own travel agency someday.
- Ehab Asaad of Camp Hill graduated with an associate degree in healthcare management. “I am honored and proud to be a HACC graduate,” said Asaad, who came to this country nine years ago from Egypt and is a naturalized American citizen. After taking classes in English as a second language, he was on the dean’s list every term and is a member of Phi Theta Kappa honor society for community colleges.
- Amelia Demopoulos of Hanover graduated with an associate degree in nursing. Demopoulos has faced many challenges, including financial crises and personal stress, but knew school was the one constant in her life. She added, “It was always a comfort knowing that no matter what happened in life, someone at HACC was looking forward to see me, and would do anything to see me succeed.” She plans to continue her education to complete her bachelor’s degree and begin working as a registered nurse after passing the National Council Licensure Examination (NCLEX).
- Karitza Hernandez of Lebanon, a first-generation student, graduated with a certificate as a licensed practical nurse. She said, “HACC opened new doors and gave me new opportunity. I am truly blessed to be graduating today. Thank you for all the incredible staff who supported me on this journey.” She plans to continue her education to become a registered nurse to pursue a career in critical care nursing.
- Michelle Seener of York said, “I came to HACC to earn a degree. What I received is so much more. HACC transforms lives every day.” She graduated with highest honors with an associate degree in social sciences after being out of high school for more than 25 years. The HACC faculty not only helped her to navigate new technology, they also made her “success their mission.” She plans to attend Millersville University and obtain a bachelor’s degree in social work. She plans to pursue a master’s degree in social work with a goal to work in clinical social work concentrating on adolescents recovering from childhood trauma.
- Student speaker Kelly Jo Singleton of Lititz graduated with high honors with an associate degree in communication with a concentration in human communication. She plans to attend Millersville University in Lancaster and obtain a bachelor’s degree in social work. She added, “It’s also my intention to obtain a master’s degree even though I’ll be in my early 60s when I finish it. I’m not letting age or anything else stand in my way anymore.”
A full list of graduates is available, as well as photos of graduates and the ceremony.
The College received support from its Commencement sponsor, AAA Central Penn.
HACC, Central Pennsylvania’s Community College, is the first and largest of Pennsylvania’s 14 community colleges. HACC offers approximately 100 career and transfer associate degree, certificate and diploma programs to approximately 19,000 students. Also, the College serves students at its Gettysburg, Harrisburg, Lancaster, Lebanon and York campuses; through virtual learning; and via workforce development and continuing education training. For more information on how HACC is uniquely YOURS, visit hacc.edu. Also, follow us on Twitter (@HACC_info), follow us on Instagram (@HACC_edu), like us on Facebook (Facebook.com/HACC64) and use #HACCNews.