The thoughts and prayers of the entire HACC community go out to those at Umpqua Community College (UCC) in Roseburg, Oregon, who have been so tragically affected by the mass shooting that occurred yesterday, Oct. 1, 2015. As a sign of respect, please join me in a moment of silence at 8 p.m. Oct. 2, 2015, when UCC will begin a vigil to honor those who were lost.
In light of this tragedy, please note that HACC's Public Safety and Security Department is on heightened alert. However, the most important step to ensure the safety of our HACC community is for all of us to stay vigilant and immediately notify security if you see suspicious activity or a person of concern. If you see something, say something!
Below are a few safety measures the College already has in place to ensure we are doing everything possible to keep our HACC community safe. These safety measures are not a “once and done,” rather they are implemented on an ongoing basis.
- Increased security presence
- Established “zone coverage” for security to ensure maximum support for all campus locations, buildings and parking lots
- Worked with responding emergency agencies to conduct emergency response trainings at all campuses throughout each year (For example, shortly before fall 2015 classes began, active-shooter drills were conducted at all HACC campuses in coordination with local responding police agencies.)
- Implemented mass communications measures that allow the College to send real-time notifications in the event of an emergency, including e2Campus (HACC’s emergency text and email messaging system) and speakers located throughout campus buildings
- Conducted regular fire and shelter-in-place drills at all campuses
- Updated emergency preparedness and continuity of operations plans (COOP)
- Upgraded door locks in all classrooms and most offices to allow for interior locking (additional locks are being purchased and installed at this time)
- Implemented a "lock down" system for all electronic doors in the event of an emergency
Please be assured there are many other protocols in place to do everything possible to ensure the safety of our College community.
We remind you to be aware, be vigilant, follow safety tips provided by the College and report any suspicious activity to security. The contact numbers are below. Thank you.
HACC’s Department of Public Safety and Security Contact Numbers
For further information or general inquiries, please email firstname.lastname@example.org. This is the most effective way to ensure a timely response.
HACC, Central Pennsylvania’s Community College, offers more than 150 career and transfer associate degree, certificate and diploma programs to nearly 20,000 students at campuses in Gettysburg, Harrisburg, Lancaster, Lebanon and York and through virtual learning. In addition, HACC serves more than 29,000 students in noncredit workforce development, public safety, adult basic education and continuing education programs offered at all campuses and off-site locations in many communities in Central Pennsylvania. For more information on how HACC is uniquely YOURS, visit hacc.edu. Also, follow us on Twitter (@HACC_info), like us on Facebook (Facebook.com/HACC64) and use #HACCNews.